Sunday, February 23, 2014

Blog Post 6

What are Personal Learning Networks? How can they help you as a teacher? How are they formed? How can you create your own PLN? Who will be the first additions to your PLN?

A Personal Learning Network is a method by which we can continue to learn and improve upon our own skills. A PLN is made up of both people and the various tools and other aids available. They are primarily done virtually and aid in global connectivity and allow ideas to be shared from all over the world. This is what makes a PLN great: the flexibility. Since they are primarily online, members of a PLN can respond at their convenience rather than having to get together and meet in person. They also provide an opportunity for a key element of teaching, reflection. They also encourage thinking and learning outside of the classroom. In this video, Steven Anderson describes a PLN and its importance to educators everywhere.

Personal Learning Network Diagram


A Personal Learning Network can help me as a teacher because, as I mentioned earlier, they allow for reflection, which is a very important part of teaching. This reflection period allows for those within the PLN to asses and critique my work and also to give suggestions that will help me to do a better job in the future. A few ways to create my PLN include using all of the tools and resources at my disposal. Next, I would look back on my past semesters at South and at other institutions and try to remember influential professors as well as fellow students that taught me something new. I would try to get in contact with these people and see if they would mind lending their expertise when they could to help me become a better teacher. The beauty of a PLN is that I do not have to meet face to face, but rather online, so that the members of my PLN could respond at their leisure.

The first additions to my PLN would probably be the members of my group, Sparta, from this course. They are the people that I work with the most and by the end of the semester I will know them even better. I guess I already have a PLN in the works as I regularly bounce ideas off of my mother who was a teacher, as well as some of my former high school teachers for advice and inspiration. I would also have to think back to professors in my past that have really challenged me and engaged me and try to pick their brain for ways to do that myself. It's funny how at the time I could not stand certain teachers, but looking back on it, I am so much better off because of them.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Mitchell,
    It sounds like you have some great people to add to your PLN so far, and you've given me the idea to go back & add some of my favorite past teachers and professors as well! I can definitely relate to you about the fact that the teachers who challenged me the most are the ones who I appreciate the most now, and actually took something away from in the long run. It's funny how that works sometimes! I'm glad we are building up our PLN's online so we have the opportunity to reach out to more people & sources, but it's also awesome how everyone can respond at their own leisure. I feel like it makes it more convenient for everyone! Great post!

    ReplyDelete