Sunday, January 26, 2014

Blog Post 2

What Will Teaching in the 21st Century be Like?

1. This video was illustrating how certain courses, such as a dance class, cannot be taught effectively through a lecture-only environment. There must be a practical portion of the class in which the teacher demonstrates and the students get a chance to practice. The author’s conclusion is that regardless of the amount of lecture or the experience of the teacher, without a practical setting to actually learn the technique, nothing is actually being learned. The professor seemed to bore the students instead of engage them.

2. Roberts thinks that teaching in the 21st Century means acting as a filter for all of the information that is available to students and also to teach various skills that will enable them to utilize the tools that allow them to access the information. Roberts also stresses engaging students as a way to make sure they are active participants in class. I totally agree with Roberts and his take on how teaching is changing. This is intimidating because everything I say can be fact checked, but if I use the same tools and resources I can find the right answer in the beginning.

3. After watching The Networked Student, I realized how much the teacher’s role has changed since I was a student in high school. Never in my life did I expect to use blogs, Facebook, or Twitter in my classes. But, here I am doing it for the first time. The response to the question of why the teacher was needed made perfect sense. The teacher is present to help synthesize the information gathered, to help design and usher the students along their path to mastering the skill-sets needed to sift through the endless amounts of information they will come across. I totally agree with this point of view and hope to use these tools myself in a classroom one day.

4. Vicki Davis in her own words “turned the school upside-down.” She was referring to her new style of teaching which involved using every bit of technology she could to get her students connected with the world around them. She is also constantly learning from her students and adapting and changing her style of teaching to best suit their needs. She is trying to get the best possible environment for her students by engaging them with tasks that are fun and challenging at the same time. I hope to one day be this flexible with my own students and allow them to learn in their own ways, not just the way I expect them to. She is not always the center of attention in the classroom and allows her students to do some of the teaching aided by the technology at their disposal.

Technology
5. Flipping the Classroom is a new technique to me as well one that I could definitely see myself using in the future. It would just be a change from the everyday routine of in-class teaching or lecture and would definitely allow for more time for students to problem solve and allow their creativity to grow. They would also be able to focus on things that they did not understand and need more help with as well as those things that interest them. It would also be beneficial to the teacher because of the change of pace and the feedback that would be received from the students.

2 comments:

  1. "This video was illustrating how certain courses, such as a dance class..." What video? Make sure to "Clearly identify (title, link, author) what you are discussing."- First sentence of Writing a Quality Blog Post.

    "I hope to one day be this flexible with my own students and allow them to learn in their own ways, not just the way I expect them to." You will learn so much from your students and their different learning styles. As educators, we only want the very best out of our students, so we must be flexible to teach to their learning style.

    Remember to give your personal thoughts on what you watch and to give thorough summaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mitchell,

    "There must be a practical portion of the class in which the teacher demonstrates and the students get a chance to practice." I completely agree with this statement. I have been through a similar scenario- not with dancing, but with chemistry! In the lab portion of my class, the T.A. basically told us how something worked and then said, "Okay, now go do this experiment." How in the world am I supposed to conduct this experiment when I have no information on how?! Being able to practice is extremely important in learning.

    As far as flipping the classroom, I am concerned about the effectiveness. I would really like to be able to see it in action and study the results of it. I think the plan is brilliant but worry about student participation.

    ReplyDelete