Sunday, March 30, 2014

Blog Post #10

What Can We Learn From Sir Ken Robinson?

After watching the video of Ken Robinson's speech at the TED conference in 2010, there are a few key points that can be taken away and applied to our future endeavors as teachers. I would also recommend checking out TED's website here.

1. Not just evolution, but a revolution is needed in education. It must be transformed into something else, completely different.

2. Human resources, or natural talents show themselves under the right circumstances. It would seem that education should promote this, but a lot of the time it hides it. Robinson also compared these talents to natural resources and the fact that both are usually hidden deep within.

3. Education needs to feed your spirit and passions. This stood out to me because this is the type of education that I have been seeking for a long time. Like he mentioned earlier, I felt that my education at earlier institutions hindered my learning because it did not feed my interests.

4. “Cannot predict the outcome of human development, all you can do is create the conditions under which they will flourish.” We must personalize education to the person/people that we are teaching. He compared this to a farmer and his crops. All he can do is provide the proper conditions and then rely on the environment to do what it will. All of those variables affect development.

Farmer in a field

2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your post and I liked that you numbered each point. To me it made it a lot easier to read and painless. My favorite was number #3, " Education needs to feed your spirit and passions." That is what I feel education is all about and without that why would you want to be an educator?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job. I like the quote you used in your fourth point!

    ReplyDelete